Join Elena Ferrante’s translator Ann Goldstein, writer and educator Darcey Steinke (Flash Count Diary, Sister Golden Hair), writer and literary critic John Freeman (Freeman’s), writer and feminist activist Jamia Wilson (Road Map for Revolutionaries, The ABCs of AOC), journalist and author Elizabeth Mitchell (Lincoln’s Lie, forthcoming in October), and Europa’s Editor in Chief Michael Reynolds for an informal online conversation about Ferrante’s novels and the HBO adaption of My Brilliant Friend.
This conversation will be bookended by an exclusive reading by Ann Goldstein from Ferrante’s new novel, The Lying Life of Adults. Then, stay with us in our virtual “living Zoom” as we watch the final episode of My Brilliant Friend Season 2, “The Blue Fairy.”
Suggested donation $5 (but please donate as much as you can or as little as you can spare. It’s for a very good cause!)
All proceeds will benefit the Girls Write Now organization, whose mission is to mentor underserved young women and gender non-conforming youth to find their voices through the power of writing and community. The organization has been distinguished three times by the White House as one of the nation’s top after school programs, and twice by the Nonprofit Excellence Awards as one of New York City’s top ten nonprofits.
Participants who donate will receive a free digital copy of The Girl with the Leica by Helena Janeczek, translated by Ann Goldstein and published by Europa Editions.
Monday May 4 beginning at 9:00pm EST (6:00pm PST)
6:00pm (PST): Start (click on your Zoom link, which will be sent shortly before start time)
6:00-6:50: Conversation with guest speakers (attendees can ask questions via “chat” on Zoom)
6:50-7:00: Reading from The Lying Life of Adults
7:00-8:00: Our Brilliant Friends Watch Party live from our virtual Living Zoom. Stay on the line as we watch the finale together, commenting via Zoom chat. (Viewing the episode requires an HBO subscription. We will NOT be streaming the episode via Zoom. During this segment, video and audio will be off, but Zoom “chat” will be on for comments, questions, cheers, and gasps)
- The Lying Life of Adults can be preordered online.
- See the complete Elena Ferrante collection at Bookshop.org
- This event will be recorded and available after the event to anyone who RSVPs, upon request
- A transcript of questions asked and comments made both during the conversion and during the airing of the episode will be available to all participants upon request
- All participants (except the speakers and readers) will be automatically muted during the Zoom call. But muted doesn’t mean silenced! Use Zoom’s chat function to interact with each other, with the group, and with the designated speakers
- Stay connected for news of more Our Brilliant Friends events coming up soon