The grants and prizes for the promotion of Italian books through the translation of fiction and non fiction works,
as well as for the production, dubbing and subtitling of films, short films and tv series, intended for mass media
circulation, are intended to promote Italian language and culture abroad. The works awarded the prizes and grants falling within this Announcement must contribute to the aforementioned purposes.
Applications for GRANTS can be submitted for:
a) tran slation and publication of Italian fiction and non fiction works, including those available in digital format (ebooks), to be published not before 1st August 2023;
b) production, dubbing or subtitling of films, short films and TV series intended for mass media circulation, to be
rel eased not before 1st August 2023
Applications for PRIZES can be submitted for:
a) Italian fiction and non fiction books, also in digital version (e book), already translated and published not
before 1st January 2022;
b) production, dubbing, subtitling of films, short films and TV series intended for mass media circulation, already released not before 1st January 2022.
Applications must be submitted BY 5 th MAY 2023 to the local Italian Embassy through the Italian Cultural
Institute with correspondent territorial jurisdiction, if present. In the case of works distributed or to be distributed in more than one country, the application must be submitted through the Italian Cultural Institute with correspondent territorial jurisdiction, if present to the Embassy operating in the country where the work has had or will presumably have the greater distribution, also indicating the other countries where the work has been or will presumably be distributed. Applications must be submitted exclusively through the form attached to this Announcement, to be filled out in all respects (in Italian or English) by the applicant.
Documents to be attached to the GRANTS application:
1. application form, filled out in all respects in Italian or English, EXCLUSIVELY in the same format attached to
2. short description (max. 3,000 characters including spaces) indicating: expected time schedule for the
publication/ production of the work as well as the distribution and promotion channels considered (including fairs, book fairs and book presentations).
3. CV of the translator and copy of their signed contract with the foreign publisher in case of translation of literary works ) OR CV of the subtitles tr anslator and dubbing director and/ or adapter and copy of the signed contract for the translation of the work ( in the case of translation and subtitling/dubbing of audio video works)
4. short business plan presenting ( in Euros ) the costs of the work, the unit cost of the translation (per pag e, per word, per minute, etc); the total cost of the translation the expected print run (in case of fiction and non fiction works)
5. copy of the front and back cover of the book in Italian (in case of trans lation of literary fiction and non fiction
works) alternatively, DVD or link to the work which is to be produced, dubbed or subtitled (in the case of
translation of audio video works);
6. copy of the valid contract for the acquisition of authorial copyright , duly signed by the Italian copyright holder.
Alternatively, a letter of intent by the foreign publisher / producer to the Italian publisher / producer, expressing
the intention and commitment to acquire the copyright (if awarded, the grant will only be paid on presentation of the relevant documentation confirming that the copyright has been acquired). Such contract / letter is necessary also in case of a costless acquisition;
7. full and detailed description of the use of grants received in the past ( only for applicants already awarded grants by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation in the last three years.
Intended prizes for the 2023 Announcement.
For the year 2023 it is intended to award five PRIZES in the amount of Euro 5,000 (five thousand Euro) each: 1 for the French language; 1 for the English language; 1 for the Spanish language; 1 for the German language; 1 for the Chinese language.
Documents to be attached to the PRIZES application: The application for PRIZES must include the following attachments:
1. all documents required for the application for grants, with the exception of the expected time schedule for carrying out the project;
2. the text translated and publis hed in the foreign language or the TV series or film realised / dubbed / subtitledon digital medium;
3. signed contract attesting the acquisition of the copyright.
Please note: documents attached to the awards application (Grants or Prizes) must be accompanied by a translation into Italian or English.